Hurricane Earl Preparedness Information
Email sent to students September 2, 2010
Dear Brown Student,
I am writing to provide information regarding Hurricane Earl, which is currently projected to affect Rhode Island on Friday, September 3 and Saturday, September 4. We have been monitoring the storm’s development closely all week, and will continue to do so. Although it is still too early to have any degree of certainty about the hurricane’s track and intensity when it reaches New England, a tropical storm watch has been issued for Rhode Island and current forecasts call for heavy rainfall and high winds on Friday into Saturday.
The University has a well-established Hurricane Plan that we encourage all members of the community to review at: http://www.brown.edu/Administration/EHS/. The Core Crisis team convened yesterday to review the plan, the latest forecasts, and preparedness efforts underway in Facilities Management, Dining Services, Residential Life and other departments. In addition to reviewing the Hurricane Plan, we encourage all community members to take the following steps:
- Pay close attention to news and forecasts regarding Hurricane Earl over the next several days, especially if you have travel plans. Information the University community needs to be aware of will be communicated via e-mail, on the home page (www.brown.edu), and, in the unlikely event of urgent emergency information, via the MIR3 emergency notification system (http://brown.edu/Administration/EHS/emergency_preparedness/MIR3.html).
- Please make certain your emergency contact information (personal cell phone and room or off-campus housing telephone numbers) is up to date so that we can contact you as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency. You can add, update or change your phone numbers by going to the MyAccount page at www.brown.edu/myaccount.
- If you are planning to travel away from campus this weekend, please make sure a family member, roommate, or friend is aware of your itinerary, expected return, and how to reach you.
- On Friday please ensure that all windows in your residence hall room or off-campus housing, including storm windows, are completely closed and locked to protect against damage from possible water intrusion. Relocate valuable property away from windows, where possible elevate boxes/equipment that are stored on the floor, and notify Facilities Management at 863-7800 as soon as possible if there are any deficiencies that prevent windows and or exterior doors from properly closing and securing.
- Forecasts anticipate very rough surf, beach erosion, and the high risk of dangerous rip currents throughout the Southern New England coast through the long weekend. Be very cautious if your weekend plans involve travel to Rhode Island or Southeastern Massachusetts beaches.
I want to remind you of important phone numbers for emergency situations:
- Department of Public Safety, 863-4111;
- Brown Emergency Medical Services, 863-4111;
- Administrator-on-call, 863-3322.
We will provide updates and new information as necessary over the coming days.
Margaret Klawunn, Ph.D.
Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services