Winter Break :: What's Open/Closed December 2012 - January 2013
Brown University administrative offices close beginning at 5 PM on Friday, December 21, 2012 and reopen @ 8:30 AM on Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
- Emergency numbers
- What's open, what's closed
- Transportation to the airport, train station, bus station
|Department of Public Safety||(401) 863-4111|
|Administrator on Call (AOC)
Public Safety will have the AOC call you
|Building or Facility Emergency||(401) 863-7800|
|Medical Emergencies||(401) 863-4111|
|Nursing Advice||(401) 863-1330|
|Psychological Emergencies||(401) 863-3476|
|Sexual Assault Crisis Support||(401) 863-6000|
- Athletics and Recreation
- Campus Center, Stephen Robert '62
- Chaplains and Religious Life
- Dining Services - meal plan and other food venues
- Health Services
- Housing - Residential Life
- Psychological Services
- SafeRIDE / University Shuttle
- SEAS onCall / Accessibility Shuttle
Additional information about Winter Break hours for recreational sport and fitness facilities may be found for each facility individually on the Recreational Sports web page at: http://www.brown.edu/Athletics/Recsports/
|Aquatics Center||Open Rec Swim 10AM - 3PM on Dec 22 & 23. Closed Dec 24 to Jan 1, 2013. Reopen Jan 2, 2013 at 5:30 AM|
|Nelson Fitness||Sat Dec 22 & Sun Dec 23 10AM-3PM. Closed Dec 24 & 25. Wed, Dec 26 to Mon, Dec 31, 2012, 10AM-3PM. Closed Jan 1, 2013. Reopen Jan 2 @ 5:30 AM|
|OMAC||Closes Fri, Dec 21, 2012 @ 7PM.
Reopens Wed, Jan 2, 2012 @ 6AM.
Break hours Sat, Dec 15 - Sun, Jan 20, 2013 are Mon-Fri 6AM-8PM; Sat, Sun 12noon-5PM. Closed Mon, Jan 21
|Meehan Rink||University skate is closed beginning Sun, Dec 16, 2012 and will reopen Monday, Jan 28, 2013.|
|Pizzitola||Recreational Squash is closed beginning Sat, Dec 22, 2012. Reopens Sat Jan 5, 2013.|
|Satellite fitness centers||Bear’s Lair, Emery, and Bigelow close Sat, Dec 15, 2012. Normal hours resume Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6AM|
Athletic events on campus during Break:
|Fri Dec 28 @ 7PM||Men's basketball v. Providence|
|Wed Jan 2 @ 6PM||Women's basketball v. Army|
|Wed Jan 2 @ 7PM||Men's ice hockey v. Russian Red Stars|
|Sat Jan 5 @ 1PM||Men & Women Swim/Dive v. Prov College
(Diving at Brown; Swimming at PC)
|Sat Jan 5 @ 1PM||Men's wrestling v. Johnson & Wales|
|Sat Jan 5 @ 2PM||Women's ice hockey v. Maine|
|Sat Jan 5 @ 3PM||Men's wrestling v. Rider|
|Sun Jan 6 @ 2PM||Women's ice hockey v. Maine|
|Rest of January||Check schedule on brownbears.com|
Urgent pastoral care or contact available 24-hours. Instructions available by calling 401 863-2344.
- Administrative offices closed from 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012 to 8:30AM Wed, Jan 2, 2013.
- Meal plan service ends after dinner on Fri, Dec 21, 2012. Begins again Tues, Jan 22, 2013 with dinner in Sharpe Refectory from 4:30-7:30pm.
- Dining arranged for athletes in competition and on campus during the break
- Check schedule of Winter Holiday and January 2013 hours for the various Dining venues. Blue Room closes 4PM Fri, Dec 21; reopens Wed, Jan 2 8AM-3PM only. Ivy Room open for lunch only Jan 2-Jan 22, 2013.
- All venues open normal hours beginning Wednesday, January 23, 2013.
During break, EMS and medical advice are available 24 hours, seven days a week:
- Emergency medical services -- call 401 863-4111 (Brown Public Safety).
- Medical advice for students -- call 401 863-1330 (Nurse Response).
Health Services' Break hours
|Fri, Dec 21, 2012||Closes 5PM until Jan 2, 2013|
|Wed, Jan 2, 2013||Reopens 8:30 AM|
|Jan 2 - Jan 20, 2013||Limited weekday hours; closed weekends. Check Health Services website for hours.|
|Wed, Jan 16||CLOSED. Staff training.|
|Mon, Jan 21||CLOSED. University holiday|
|Tue, Jan 22||Regular weekly hours resume|
|Sat, Jan 26||Weekend hours resume|
- All close Fri, Dec 21 at 5PM. Rock open limited hours 12/27-28. Libraries reopen Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
- Printable Library Hours for Winter Break (and other time periods) are available on the library site.
- For details about library hours, check http://library.brown.edu/libweb/hours.php or call 401 863-BOOK.
- Psychological Services will be closed from 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012 until 8:30 AM Mon, Jan 23, 2013.
- During Break, an on-call clinician is available for urgent mental health needs, any time of the day or night. Call Psychological Services @ 401 863-3476 and follow the prompts to reach the answering service.
Students are required to vacate residence halls no later than 9AM Sat, Dec 22, 2012. All doors will be locked and card access will be disabled during Break. Take all critical items (e.g., prescriptions, passports, keys) with you as you will NOT be able to enter the residence halls or your room during Break.
- NEED TO STAY? Students for whom international residence or circumstances prevent leaving campus during Break, check http://reslife.brown.edu for additional information.
Residence halls reopen on Sat, Jan 19, 2013.
- Additional information on the reslife website.
- Campus Center will be closed 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012 until 8AM Wed, Jan 2, 2013.
- Blue Room closes 4PM Fri, Dec 21; reopens Wed, Jan 2 8AM-3PM only until normal hours resume Wed, Jan 23.
safeRIDE services operate on a modified service schedule during Winter Break.
- Campus Shuttle: last evening of service is Wed, Dec 19, 2012; service resumes Wed, Jan 23, 2013 @ 5PM.
- Brown Med/Downcity: Service ends 6PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012; resumes Wed, Jan 2, 2013 @ 8AM.
- 121 South Main: Service ends 6PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012; resumes Wed, Jan 2, 2013 8AM
- onCall: Last evening of service is Wed, Dec 19, 2012. Modified schedule for registered onCall riders from Wed, Jan 2 - Sat, Jan 19, 2013 is 5PM to 1AM; registered riders call 401 863-1778 for onCall pick-up.
- SEAS onCall: Regular service ends 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012. Limited service Wed, Jan 2, 2013 –Tues, Jan 23, 2013 is Mon – Fri 8AM – 9:30AM and 4PM - 5:30PM. Regular service and schedule resumes Wed, Jan 23, 2013 @ 8AM.
- Office is closed 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012 until 8:30AM Wed, Jan 2, 2013.
- SEAS onCall: Regular service ends 5PM Fri, Dec 21, 2012. Limited service Wed, Jan 2, 2013 –Tues, Jan 23, 2013 is Mon – Fri 8AM – 9:30AM and 4PM –5:30PM. Regular service and schedule resumes Wed, Jan 23, 2013 @ 8AM.
TAXI companies and airport shuttle in Rhode Island
- From campus to train, bus station or airport
- Taxi companies. If you need to leave early in the morning, call a company the day before to arrange a precise time and location for pick up.
- Airport shuttle/"limousine" (it's a van) departs T.F. Green every hour on the hour and has a pick up at Faunce Arch/Campus Center. Call for reservations.
MBTA commuter train service to TF Green (Warwick, RI) Airport
- Trains leave from the Providence Amtrak Train Station (near Providence Place Mall)
- To TF Green, Check MBTA commuter rail schedule for Providence/Stoughton Line (Outbound from Providence to TF Green, or Inbound from TFGreen to Providence). Increased service to TF Green began November 2011.
- To Boston/Logan, MBTA commuter rail to South Station, switch to Silver Line to Logan Airport terminals. For instructions, check Getting to Logan info on the MBTA site.
- To TF Green, RIPTA buses leave from Providence Kennedy Plaza (downtown). You can walk to Kennedy Plaza or take a bus from the Thayer Street tunnel. On the RIPTA website, select Schedule & Fares, Trip Planner to identify your bus and time (Tunnel is 218 Thayer St, Providence). Current students who show Brown ID are able to ride any RIPTA bus or trolley anywhere within the state at no charge.
- To Boston/Logan, Peter Pan buses leave from the Providence Bus Terminal (2 miles north of campus, take a cab from campus to the Peter Pan bus terminal)
page date 12.12.12