Skip over navigation

Alcohol or Drug Use

Immediate Crisis ~ (401) 863-4111

Call Brown EMS at (401) 863-4111 if, for any reason, you are worried about the physical or psychological safety of anyone who has been drinking or using drugs. Call EMS if your friend has trouble walking, has problems with speech or motor coordination, continues to vomit, has an injury, passes out, has problems breathing, has seizures, or is out of control in any way. Intoxication may be particularly risky for anyone who has diabetes because the alcohol-insulin-glucose interaction can be unpredictable.

When is disciplinary action taken?

Getting your friend medical care for alcohol/drug use will not initiate disciplinary action or punishment. Your friend will be required to meet with a Health Educator, because this is an important opportunity to talk about making safer choices. This appointment is free and confidential.

If a student vandalizes property, injures someone or violates University policy while under the influence, this is cause for disciplinary action. “I was drunk, I didn’t know what I was doing” is not accepted as an excuse.

Dean for Issues of Chemical Dependency

If you are concerned about a friend’s alcohol or other drug use, but your friend is not in immediate danger of harming themselves or someone else, contact the Dean for Issues of Chemical Dependency at (401) 863-2536. The Dean can contact the student for a confidential meeting, not revealing the source of information if you wish to remain anonymous. Any student who is concerned about their own or others’ alcohol and other drug use may consult with the dean.

Signs of an Ongoing Problem

If you are not sure if your friend has an ongoing problem, the Health Education website has information about How to help a friend.