Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1995-1996 index

Distributed May 20, 1996

Commencement 1996: A Memorial Weekend tribute

Brown to honor its 20th-century war dead, announce plans for memorial

At special Commencement Weekend events Saturday and Sunday, May 25-26, Brown University will honor the memory of 243 alumni who died in World Wars I and II, Korea and Vietnam. During a Sunday morning Ceremony of Remembrance at 9:30, President Vartan Gregorian will announce plans for development of a permanent memorial.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The 243 Brown alumni known to have died in military service during wars of the 20th century will be remembered by their classmates and honored by the Brown community during Commencement Weekend, May 24-27. (A schedule of events follows.)

Three special Commencement Forums on Saturday, May 25, will commemorate the service and sacrifice of Brown alumni in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. At a formal ceremony on Sunday morning, Brown President Vartan Gregorian will greet alumni, particularly members of the 50th reunion Class of 1946, and deliver a short address. He will be joined by Sen. John Chafee and three Brown alumni, who will lay wreaths near Soldiers Arch (Thayer Street at Manning Walkway), the University's memorial to the 42 men who died in World War I.

During that Sunday morning observance, Gregorian will announce the University's plans to develop the area around Soldiers Arch as a permanent memorial to honor the memory of all Brown students, alumni and faculty who died in wars of the 20th century. The University has engaged Richard Fleischner, an internationally acclaimed sculptor and environmental artist, to undertake design work on the memorial project. The finished memorial will extend inward from Soldiers Arch along both sides of the walkway.

A ceremony of remembrance: Brown honors its veterans

Saturday, May 25 (all presentations in Sayles Hall on the College Green)

Sunday, May 26

######
95-158