Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1996-1997 index

Distributed October 1, 1996

School of Medicine appoints new chairpersons, creates new department

The Brown University School of Medicine has named Dr. Agnes Kane chairperson of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; Dr. Charles McDonald chairperson of a new Department of Dermatology; and Dr. John Cronan interim chairperson of the Department of Diagnostic Imaging.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The Brown University School of Medicine has announced the appointment of three new chairpersons and the startup of a new department:

Kane received a B.A. from Swarthmore College in 1968 and an M.D. and Ph.D. from the Temple University School of Medicine in 1974 and 1976. She did her residency at Temple University Hospital and was a post-doctoral fellow with a National Research Service Award at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden. Before coming to Brown in 1982, she was a staff pathologist at Temple University Hospital and an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology and Fels Research Institute at Temple University School of Medicine.

"It is an honor to assume the academic leadership of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine," Kane said. "I will work enthusiastically with the dean and the faculty to organize and develop our teaching and research efforts in experimental and diagnostic pathology. I believe we have the talent and resources together with our affiliated teaching hospitals to develop outstanding academic programs in environmental pathology and molecular biology of cancer."

McDonald attended North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, the University of Michigan and Howard University School of Medicine, where he received his M.D. degree in 1960. Before coming to Brown in 1968, McDonald was an assistant professor of medicine and pharmacology at Yale University School of Medicine.

Cronan is a professor of diagnostic imaging and a radiologist at Rhode Island Hospital and Women & Infants Hospital. He was an instructor in radiology at Yale University School of Medicine and a clinical fellow at Harvard Medical School before coming to Brown in 1982.

######
96-030