Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1996-1997 index

Distributed June 24, 1997

Christine Heenan to direct Community and Government Relations office

Christine Heenan, who has been associate director of Brown University's Office of Community and Government Relations, has been promoted to director of the office.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Christine Heenan has been named director of Brown University's Office of Community and Government Relations, according to an announcement from Laura Freid, executive vice president, external affairs.

Heenan, the associate director of the office since January 1995, will head Brown's community affairs program and will be responsible for the University's relations with city, state and federal officials.

"It is my pleasure to announce Christine Heenan's promotion. Heenan's research and analytical skills, combined with her leadership experience in Providence, at the State House and in the White House, will serve Brown University well as issues in higher education become topics for local and national debate," said Freid.

While at Brown, Heenan managed the University's relationships with state and local government officials, directed government relations for the School of Medicine and worked with neighbors, community groups and community agencies to communicate Brown's mission and build collaborative partnerships.

Before coming to Brown, Heenan was a senior policy analyst for the Domestic Policy Council in the White House, where she helped develop and promote the Clinton administration's health care reform proposals. From 1990 through January 1993, she worked with SJS Inc. in Providence, R.I., developing corporate strategy for several multinational clients and performing public policy research for Aging 2000, a major health reform effort in Rhode Island.

Heenan, a graduate of Boston University and a doctoral candidate at Brown in political science, is the co-author or contributing author of The Aging 2000 Report, America's Choice: High Skills or Low Wages and Rhode Island's First Ladies, and writes frequently about medical education issues. She serves on several panels and boards, including the Rhode Island Commission on Women, The United Way Community Services Board and Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island.

######
96-147