PAUR Brown Home Brown Home Brown University Office of Relations Home

April 12, 2007
(401) 863-2476

Brown’s Athletic Program Receives Certification from NCAA

The National College Athletic Association (NCAA) announced today that Brown University has successfully completed the certification process required of all Division I institutions.

Brown University Home
Media Relations Home
2006-07 Release Index
e-Subscribe

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — The National College Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Committee on Athletics Certification announced today that Brown University has been certified without conditions as part of the NCAA’s second cycle of athletics certification. A designation of certified means that an institution operates its athletics program “in substantial conformity with operating principles adopted by the Association’s Division I membership.”

The certification process, which involves a self-study led by an institution’s president or chancellor, includes a review of these primary components: governance and commitment to rules compliance; academic integrity; equity; and student-athlete welfare.

“The NCAA’s process for certification is very thorough and thoughtful,” said Richard Spies, executive vice president for planning and chair of the committee that conducted the self-study and presented its results to the NCAA. “The fact that our program was certified without any conditions or qualifications is a real tribute to everyone involved in athletics at Brown. I want to thank all the members of the study committee and its various subcommittees for their hard work in helping present Brown to the NCAA reviewers in the best possible way.”

The self-study committee included faculty, students, staff, alumni and members of the Brown Corporation. The committee gathered and analyzed a wide array of data, solicited input from across the campus, held public meetings, and sought additional feedback through its Web site. The self-study report was submitted in May 2006.

Athletics Director Michael Goldberger said, “I am delighted with these results. This comprehensive self-study gave us an excellent opportunity to examine our department, to affirm those things that we are doing well, and develop thoughtful plans to improve. It was a wonderful team effort that will benefit our student athletes for years to come.” Brown's intercollegiate athletics program is the fourth largest in the nation with 37 sports, and the nation's largest intercollegiate program for women with 20 sports.

The purpose of athletics certification is to ensure integrity in the institution’s athletics program and to assist institutions in improving their athletics departments. NCAA legislation mandating athletics certification was adopted in 1993. Brown’s first certification review occurred in 1996-97 and an interim review was conducted in 2001-02.

The second round of athletics certifications is being completed on a 10-year cycle rather than the five-year cycle used in the initial certification process. All 326 active Division I members participate in the certification process.

Additional information on the certification process and the self-study report is available at http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Campus_Life/NCAA-Certification.htm

Editors: Brown University has a fiber link television studio available for domestic and international live and taped interviews and maintains an ISDN line for radio interviews. For more information, call the Office of Media Relations at (401) 863-2476.

######