Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Andrews Field was opened for athletic events on May 6, 1899. The property, nearly seven acres between Camp and Ivy Streets, was acquired in 1897 through the bequest of John Wilson Smith. The field was named for President Andrews, who had resigned in 1898. William H. G. Temple was the architect of the plan which made the utmost use of the available land with the juxtaposition of the football field and the baseball diamond, in which second base was on the goal line. Around the playing fields was the quarter mile track, with six hydrants placed so that the entire track could be watered with 100 feet of hose. The field was enclosed by a 10-foot fence, 2,110 feet in length. The grandstand, designed after the pattern of Soldiers’ Field at Harvard, had seating for 1,200 people, with one section for 500 which could be dismantled and reassembled in season at the football field, where a permanent grandstand would have interfered with baseball play. A small structure, painted red and green and outfitted with hot and cold water and showers, was erected near Camp Street. It was replaced by the Marston Field House in 1907. A new football stand erected by the Athletic Association in 1910 increased the seating capacity by 1,050, and in October of that year a large Irwin scoreboard was installed. Andrews Field was superseded in 1925 by the new stadium on Elmgrove Avenue and the baseball field named Aldrich Field, across the street from the stadium.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.