Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Arnold Fellowships

The Arnold Fellowships were established in 1964 by Thomas J. Watson, Jr. ’37. Named after Provost Samuel T. Arnold ’13, the fellowships provide a stipend for graduating seniors to travel for a year “to broaden his horizons.” With no required travel report, the Arnold Fellows are free to pursue their proposed projects in their own way and even to become sidetracked into a completely different quest. Former Arnold Fellows have found themselves following the footsteps of Alexander the Great, studying government-supported child care systems, interviewing former Irish Republican Army officers, and playing guitar on the streets of Vienna. The fellowships, originally intended for male students, were extended in 1971 to include women students, the first of whom was Barbara Reisman ’71.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page