Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Bio-Medical Building

The Bio-Medical Building was designed by Shepley Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott, and built in 1969 to house a four-story medical research tower, a two-story teaching and laboratory area below ground level, and a five-story animal care facility. The ceremonies of dedication of the building began on October 3, 1969, at a dinner at which the principal speaker was Isaac Asimov. The speakers at the formal dedication the next day were acting president Merton P. Stoltz, John G. Veneman, Under Secretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and G. William Miller, national chairman of the Development Fund for Medical Education at Brown. In 1982 the vacant space between the first floor of the building and the terrace was used for construction of the Center for Health Care Studies, an attached building housing a lecture hall for 120 persons, lounge and office areas, and facilities for three community health programs with headquarters at Brown, the National Hospice Study, the Southeastern New England Long Term Care Gerontology Center, and the Institute for Rehabilitation and Restorative Care. The largest single contribution to the cost of the facility came from the family of David T. C. Ho of Hong Kong. At the dedication of the building President Swearer selected a scalpel from a tray of surgical instruments for the ribbon cutting in the new auditorium. In 1990 the Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building was added to the medical complex.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page