Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Bridge-Prop

Bridge-Prop is the title given to the sculpture on the College Green near Faunce House, executed by Henry Moore and given to the University in 1974 by Mr. and Mrs. David Finn of New Rochelle, New York, the parents of three Brown students. The female figure cast in bronze, which weighs over a ton, is in three parts, one leaning against another, the third standing free. Moore, explaining the derivation of the title, noted that “Bridge” meant that, if one looked at the sculpture with its base at eye levels, a series of arches can be seen, and “Prop” was applied to the arm that props up the head and shoulder part against the middle part. Moore visited the campus in May 1974 to view the sculpture and officiate at the opening of an exhibition in the List Art Building of photographs which David Finn had taken of it. Finn published photographs of the sculpture in a book, As the Eye Moves.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page