Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Caesar Augustus statue, the gift of Moses Brown Ives Goddard 1854, was unveiled on the opening day of the college year, September 19, 1906. Mr. Goddard made the presentation at the conclusion of the chapel exercises. The bronze statue, which is the exact size of the marble original in Rome, was placed in front of Rhode Island Hall. In September 1952 the statue was removed to a new home in front of the Sharpe Refectory, and there Caesar Augustus still stands, unfortunately having been relieved of his right arm, which had already been replaced after being broken off during the hurricane of 1938.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.