Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Comparative Literature

Comparative Literature began as an honors program for undergraduates in 1961, added a master of arts program in 1963, and admitted Ph.D. candidates in 1965. In 1967 the Department of Comparative Literature was established with Professor Juan López-Morillas as chairman. With the aim of studying literature which transcends national and linguistic boundaries, the department provides concentrations in English and one or more foreign languages and a concentration in literary translation, in cooperation with the Departments of Classics, English, French Studies, German, Hispanic and Italian Studies, Linguistics, and Slavic Languages. Among the chairpersons of the department are have been Juan López-Morillas, Rosalie Colie, Alan Trueblood, Arnold L. Weinstein, Edward J. Ahearn, and Michael-André Bossy.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page