Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
East Building was part of a double house of Meeting Street, which was pressed into service as a recitation hall for the women students in 1913, with three classrooms “of such a size that no words of the professor’s melt in distance before they reach the farthermost student.” Student opinion dismissed the building in the Students’ Handbook for 1917 as “another one, which is glorified by the name of East Building, but it is a bit of college etiquette not to speak of that.” The second half of the building was renovated in 1923. In 1935 the building was still in service and had been treated to fresh paint in bright colors. It was torn down in 1952 along with the nearby East House.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.