Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

GSJ George Street Journal

The George Street Journal, is a weekly publication of the Brown News Bureau, which informs the University community about important events, campus news and policies, and accomplishments of faculty and students. It also provides a calendar of events. The first Brown University Calendar appeared in October 1913, with an announcement that it would be published every Friday during the college year. A subscription to the Calendar was available at one dollar per year. The Publicity Committee announced in October 1915 that publication would be temporarily suspended. Two weeks later the Calendar began to be issued as a supplement to the Brown Daily Herald on Saturdays during term time, an arrangement which continued until June 1917. Another calendar, which began in September 1930 as the Brown University Weekly Calendar, changed its name abruptly in December 1932 to Brown University Weekly Bulletin, and continued under that title, even after it had changed to biweekly publication and adopted a newspaper format in January 1976. This change, following President Donald Hornig’s desire, as noted in his inaugural address, to “help develop a community understanding of issues of wider concern as well as a deeper appreciation of what is going on and being thought about at Brown,” gave expanded coverage to campus events and added news of general interest to the University community. Since September 1980, the paper has been called The George Street Journal, a name connected with the location of its publisher, the Brown News Bureau, which was selected after a naming contest announced the previous December had brought forth nearly a hundred suggestions. Publication of the George Street Journal, suspended in September 1991 for budgetary reasons, was resumed one year later, this time as a weekly paper.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page