Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Graduate Center

The Graduate Center, built in 1968, was composed of four six-story dormitory towers around a central four-story commons building. The dormitories were planned to house a total of 457 students (including 136 women in one of the towers) and four resident faculty members. The entrances from the street are at the third floor level, and there are bridge walkways from the commons building to the dormitory buildings. The upper level of the commons building houses the Graduate School offices. The level below the lobby was assigned to lounge and recreational facilities. Before the Graduate Center was built, graduate housing had been at the former Lownes residence at 69 Manning Street and the annex at 67 Manning Street. The new Center, bounded by Charles Field, Thayer, and Power Streets, was designed by Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson & Abbott and built by E. Turgeon Construction Company. A sizeable amount of the $4,300,000 cost of construction was financed by a loan from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Renewal. The dedication of the Center, at which Margaret Mead was the principal speaker, was held on October 12, 1968. Soon after the opening of the Center, a club liquor license was issued to the Brown University Faculty and Graduate School Club, also known as the Graduate Center Bar (GCB) and the Jelly Bean Lounge, which was located on the first floor of the Center.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page