Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Hegeman Hall, was built at the corner of George and Thayer Streets in 1926 with $250,000 provided by the John R. Hegeman Foundation. The building shared its day of dedication of October 13, 1926 with Marston Hall. President Faunce described its style as “the earlier style of colonial architecture, less severe and more homelike than some of our buildings which embody the later and severer style.” Hegeman Hall, actually a dormitory in three parts, one of three stories, one of two stories, and one of one story, had for a time a reading room in a two-room suite at the entrance of the one-story section, where books tables and games were installed to provide a homelike common room for the residents. On the east wall of the dormitory there is a plaque bearing the likeness of John R. Hegeman, who was president of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.