Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Keeney Quadrangle

The Keeney Quadrangle, known at first as the West Quadrangle, was opened in 1957. Thomas Mott Shaw was the architect and Gilbane Building Company the contractor. Construction had begun in December 1955, and Barnaby Keeney said in his speech at the laying of the cornerstone (which he identified as “my first cornerstone"), that this quadrangle was designed “to provide a dignified and happy home for the independents,” the Wriston Quadrangle having already taken care of fraternity housing. The Quadrangle, bordered by Benevolent, Brown and Charles Field Streets, and the University’s property line, has six houses with room for 585 students, which form a continuous enclosed “H” with two courtyards. Because the ground slopes from Brown to Benefit Street, the east end has three floors and the west end four. Each of the six houses has its own exterior entrance, but one can reach any part of the quadrangle without going outdoors. The six houses are named for members of the faculty: Everett House for Walter Goodnow Everett, professor of philosophy, Bronson House for Walter Cochrane Bronson, professor of English, Jameson House for John Franklin Jameson, professor of history, Mead House for Albert Davis Mead, professor biology and vice-president, Archibald House for Raymond Clare Archibald, professor of mathematics, and Poland House for William Carey Poland, professor of classics and art. Two lounges which form the social centers of the quadrangle are named for Provost Samuel T. Arnold ’13 and Vice-President Bruce Bigelow ’24. The quadrangle was named Keeney Quadrangle at exercises held on the Saturday before Commencement in 1982. On the commemorative plaque is the inscription, “Scientia est infinita.”

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page