Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

List Art Building

List Art Building was completed in 1971, six years after the building project was launched by a donation by Mr. and Mrs. Albert List, private collectors and art patrons. Other major gifts came from Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, the Ford Foundation, and the estate of Edith Knight. Built on College Hill in back of the John Hay Library, the five story concrete building with distinctive rooftop skylights and cantilevered sunscreens is highly visible in all directions. On the first floor are a large lecture room for 225 people and the David Winton Bell Gallery, a 2500 square foot exhibition area, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Bell and Lucy Bell Hartwell in memory of their son and brother. On the top floor is a 4500 square foot painting studio with skylights. The architect was Philip Johnson of New York and the associate architect was Samuel Glaser and Partners of Boston. The building, named the Albert and Vera List Art Building, was dedicated on October 8, 1971 at exercises at which art historian Kenneth Clark delivered an address.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page