Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Pembroke Center for Teaching and Research on Women

The Pembroke Center for Teaching and Research on Women was established in 1981 and was dedicated in March 1982 during Women’s History Week. Grants had been received from the Ford Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities for a study of “Cultural Constructions of the Female.” Professor Joan Scott was named director of the Center, and a concentration in women’s studies was added to the curriculum. Later directors of the Center have been Barbara Babcock and Karen Newman. The Center, although not an academic department with its own faculty, supports the interdisciplinary women’s studies program and the integration of gender into undergraduate courses. The Center also brings post-doctoral scholars to Brown and conducts frequent seminars.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page