Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Pembroke Field, bounded by Hope, Meeting, Brook, and Cushing Streets, was formerly the estate of Charles T. Aldrich 1877 and Henry L. Aldrich 1876, received through their bequest and dedicated on October 24, 1936. At the dedication athletes from Radcliffe College, Jackson College. and Wheaton College joined Pembroke in games of hockey, deck tennis, soccer, and fistball. The Aldrich barn was transformed into the Pembroke Field House, which was opened on January 14, 1938 at a tea for the Alumnae Association council. Accumulated coats of paint were removed from the barn and bay windows replaced the doors of the hay loft. The second floor was made into a lounge with a large fireplace, the gift of the class of 1936. The fireplace accessories were the gift of the class of 1937, and the outside fireplace was the gift of the class of 1905. In 1971 the Brown Club of Rhode Island raised funds to convert the Pembroke Field House into an alumni center.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.