Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Philandrian Society was a secret society dedicated to the cultivation of friendship, admission to which required the assent of every member. The first meeting of the Rhode Island branch was held on July 3, 1799, the last recorded meeting in November of 1810. Anniversary meetings were held in the area of Taunton, Massachusetts. The constitution of the society decreed that at each quarterly meeting a previously appointed member should deliver “a Lecture on Politeness.” A subsequent revision of the constitution altered this requirement to “A Lecture on any moral or literary subject.”
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.