Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
The Registrar of the University dates back to 1828 when the office of “Register” was created and assumed by Lemuel H. Elliott, who had already been steward since 1826. Elliott kept this job until 1864, and was succeeded in the position by William Douglas 1839 from 1864 to 1879, Francis W. Douglas 1868 from 1879 to 1884, Gilman P. Robinson 1878 from 1884 to 1889, John C. Stockbridge 1838 from 1889 to 1891, and Frederick T. Guild 1890 from 1891 to 1938. There was no registrar for several years. Helen Lowe Urquhart was “Recorder of the College” from 1940 to 1945. Gilbert E. Case was Registrar from 1945 to 1948. The title was changed to Recorder in 1948, and William A. Jewett was appointed to the position. Milton E. Noble ’44 was appointed Recorder in 1951. His title was changed to Registrar in 1963, and he was succeeded by Katherine P. Hall in 1984.
Registration at the Women’s College and Pembroke College was conducted separately until 1963, when the introduction of automated records made it practical for all student registration to be under the University Registrar. The Registrars of the Women’s College and Pembroke College were Emma Bradford Stanton 1896 from 1897 to 1932, Mildred Williamson Cull ’29 from 1932 to 1938, Esther Hervey Smith from 1938 to 1946. Dorothy Spencer Horton was Recorder from 1944 to 1963.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.