Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Rogers Hall was built in 1862 through the efforts of Professor Nathaniel P. Hill which resulted in raising subscriptions of $14,250. The building, described as Italian Gothic, two stories high, fifty by forty feet, with a projection on the east side thirty-five by fifty-five feet and roofs covered with Vermont slates laid in alternate bands of purple and green, was called simply “The Chemical Laboratory.” When an addition was built in 1900 and used for other purposes as engineering instruction, the name was changed to Rogers Hall in honor of William Sanford Rogers, donor of $50,000 in 1872 to endow the Newport Rogers Professorship of Chemistry. After the new Metcalf Chemical Laboratory was built in 1924, the older laboratory was assigned for use for graduate research under Professor C. A. Kraus. In 1986 the rear section of the building was razed and replaced by a new classroom building, which was opened in 1989 as the Richard and Edna Salomon Center for Teaching.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.