Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Swearer Center for Public Service

The Swearer Center for Public Service was founded in 1986 to support programs and provide resources to enable students to integrate public service into their education. The inauguration of the Center took place on March 12-14, 1987, and included an addresss by Peace Corps Director Loret M. Ruppe and several workshops and forums. The Center, directed by Susan E. Stroud, augments the work of Brown Community Outreach and the Resource Center by cooperating with community organizations and connecting Brown to national public service efforts. The C. V. Starr National Service Fellowship Program, which began in 1982, awards $1,000 grants for educational expenses to students who have devoted a full year to public service before admission or during a leave of absence. The President’s Community Service Summer Fellowships provide stipends to those who design a project to meet a demonstrated community need. The International Service Fellowship helps students to take part in service opportunities abroad. Brown participates in the Campus Compact, a national coalition of colleges and universities with headquarters at Brown, which works to integrate college education and public service. In 1991 the center was named the Howard R. Swearer Center for Public Service in honor of the late president of Brown University. The University received received an anonymous one million dollar gift to endow the Center and commemorate Swearer’s contributions to Brown.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page