Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Town and Gown

Town and Gown appeared in October 1930. Subtitled “a magazine devoted to arts and letters in Rhode Island” and published by the students of Brown University, the publication took the place of the Brown Literary Quarterly. An elaborate flier which heralded the publication listed the names of a number of important men on its board of directors, including Royal B. Farnum, educational director at the Rhode Island School of Design, as president of the board, and Hermon C. Bumpus 1884, former president of Tufts College, as secretary. Its one and only issue contained contributions by John Carter Brown librarian Lawrence Wroth, Professor Harry E. Miller, alumni Victor Hill ’28, Garrett Byrnes ’26, W. H. Gerry ’29, Harold K. Halpert ’28, and undergraduate Frank Merchant ’31. “Forthcoming Features” for the second issue which unfortunately never appeared were articles on D. H. Lawrence, America’s Cup races, and also “A Psychiatrist Looks at Prohibition” by Dr. Charles A. McDonald, the second article in a series following “An Economist Looks at Prohibition” by Professor Miller.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page