Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Urban Studies

Urban Studies became recognized when President Hornig established a Committee on Urban Studies with Professor Benjamin Chinitz as chairman in July 1971. Before that time several departments, such as Political Science, Sociology, History, and Economics, already had urban-oriented courses, and the Division of Engineering had a concentration in urban technology. The new committee’s job was to initiate courses in urban studies and to counsel students in developing independent concentrations. In the spring of 1972 the committee sponsored a lecture series, “Campaign ’72: The Urban Issues.” Six members of the committee cooperated in an extension course called “Urban America: Problems and Perspectives.” Ten students graduated with an independent concentration in urban studies in 1972, and twenty in 1973. A standard concentration in urban studies was approved in 1973, and a revised concentration program in 1975. The Urban Analysis Group, an interdepartmental research team was funded by grants from the National Science Foundation and the Economic Development Administration. Professor Basil Zimmer of Sociology reorganized the Urban Studies Program in 1974 and was chairman until 1986. J. Vernon Henderson, professor of economics, became Director of Urban Studies in 1986. The core program curriculum includes courses in art, economics, history, political science, and sociology. Concentrators in urban studies also participate in off-campus work-study programs.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page