Brown Logo

Office of University Communications
38 Brown Street / Box 1920
Providence RI 02912

401 863-2453
Fax 863-1650
News_Service@brown.edu

Contact Mark Nickel


Brunoniana

From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:

Vice Presidents

Vice Presidents have been part of the administration since 1925 when that title was given to Albert Davis Mead after several months during which he assumed some of the duties of President Faunce, whose illness prevented his full attention to presidential responsibilities. The only “vice president” recorded before that time was Perez Fobes, who actually served in the capacity of acting president while James Manning was in Congress in 1786. Roland G. D. Richardson, who was dean of the Graduate School served as acting vice-president in 1928-1929. The Corporation created a second post of vice president in 1932 and named James P. Adams, who had been acting vice president while Mead was acting president during President Barbour’s absence in 1931-32. Mead was vice president until 1936, Adams until 1945. In 1945 F. Morris Cochran was appointed to the newly created post of business manager responsible for administration of the budget, also accounting, buildings and grounds, purchasing, dining rooms, and all business operations of the University. In 1946 he was promoted to vice president with these same duties. Bruce Bigelow, named vice president in 1945, acted as immediate deputy to the President in the conduct of University affairs. Thomas B. Appleget was appointed vice president in charge of public relations in 1949, his duties to include liaison work with the News Bureau and with fund-raising activities. Appleget retired in June 1959 and his position was vacant until John Van Gassbeek Elmendorf arrived in May 1961 from Mexico, where he had been Executive Director of the Mexican-American Cultural Institute and for eight years a member of the faculty and an administrative officer at Mexico City College.

Malcolm S. Stevens was Vice President for Administration from 1966 to 1975. Paul F. Maeder was Vice President (Finance and Operations) from 1972 to 1977. Richard J. Ramsden was Vice President (Administration and Finance) from 1977 to 1980, then Senior Vice-President until 1982. Frederick M. Bohen followed in that post from 1983 to 1990. In 1991 Thomas P. Glynn became Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration, Donald J. Reaves became Vice President for Finance and Walter E. Holmes, Jr. became Vice President for Administration.

Robert A. Reichley was named Vice President (University Relations) in 1977, and retitled in 1991 Executive Vice President (Alumni Relations, Public Affairs, and External Relations). The title of Ronald A. Wolk was Vice President for (University Relations and Development) until 1977, when he was named Vice President and Director of the Capital Campaign. Robert A. Seiple was Vice President for Development from 1979 to 1983, when he was succeeded by Samuel F. Babbitt. Ann W. Caldwell was appointed to the position in 1991 when Babbitt was named Senior Vice President in charge of the new major capital campaign.

Pierre M. Galletti was Vice President (Biology and Medicine) from 1972 to 1991. General Counsel Beverly E. Ledbetter was named Vice-President and General Counsel in 1985. Brian L. Hawkins became Vice President for Computing and Information Services in 1986. Don C. Wolfe assumed that position when Hawkins was named Vice President for Academic Planning and Administration in 1992. Levi C. Adams became Vice President for Government and Community Affairs in 1992.

In the present administration are the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Executive Vice-President (Alumni, Public Affairs, and External Relations), the Vice President for Academic Planning and Administration, the Vice President for Computing and Information Services, the Vice President for Development, the Vice President for Government and Community Affairs, the Vice President and General Counsel, and the Vice President for Administration.

The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright 1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.


Return to Encyclopedia Index  |  University Home Page