Office of University Communications
From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Wayland Collegium for Liberal Learning
The Wayland Collegium for liberal learning was established in 1980 as a support system for inquiries on significant issues of human life. Named “The Francis Wayland Collegium for Liberal Learning” for the fourth president of Brown, whose 1850 “New System” introduced the concept of electives into the curriculum, the Collegium owes its existence and continuation to the income from a single endowment, a gift of then Chancellor Richard Salomon ’32 and Mrs. Salomon. The idea for the Collegium grew from the cooperation of Dean Walter Massey, Professor George Morgan, and others, who throughout the year 1978-79 met to consider the best support for an interdisciplinary and experimental curriculum. The three facets of the work of the Collegium are the encouragement of curricular offerings in integrative studies, the provision of a setting for the development of common interests and mutual support among the faculty, and the sponsorship of lectures, conferences, and workshops relating to major human concerns. About 65 members of the faculty are appointed as fellows of the Collegium, which is administered by an executive committee, consisting of six of the fellows, including the senior fellow, and the Dean of the College.
The above entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library. It is used here by permission of the author and the University and may not be copied or further distributed without permission.