Contract Review and Approval
The OGC drafts, reviews, and approves as to legal sufficiency the terms and conditions of many of the agreements entered into by the University. In November 1990, the President issued a memorandum requiring that contracts be approved by the OGC, with certain exceptions, specifically, contracts funded by grants and approved by the Office of Sponsored Projects, as well as purchase orders handled through the Controller’s Office.
Some of the types of agreements which are written or reviewed by the OGC include:
- Affiliation Agreements
- which may establish long-term relationships between the University and third parties;
- Computer/Technology Contracts
- including hardware and software purchases, licenses, and development agreements for various administrative units of the University;
- Real Estate Agreements
- including purchase and sale agreements, swap agreements and leases;
- Professional Services Agreements (PSAs)
- Various Employment Agreements
- Sponsorship & Broadcast Agreements
- for the Department of Athletics; and Releases & Waivers for both the academic and administrative areas of the University.
Professional Service Agreemants represent the bulk of the contracts handled by the OGC. A PSA is a contract used to engage a consultant, freelancer, or LLC (Limited Liability Corporation), to provide professional services to the University. The OGC has prepared several standard PSA models which departments must use when contracting with those providing professional services. These model agreements and instructions are available at the Controller’s Office website. If you have any questions about the model agreements, please direct them to the OGC's Contracts Specialist.
A University department may use an OGC model PSA without OGC review and approval only when no changes have been made to the standard language of the form and the contract is for less than $50,000.
All contracts drafted by any entity other than the OGC must be reviewed and approved by the OGC.
Departments seeking the review or drafting of an agreement should contact the OGC’s Contracts Specialist. A request for a contract approval should be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the time it is needed. A request to review a contract not drafted by the OGC or to review a modified OGC form or to draft an entirely new contract should be submitted on a General Contract Request. Review or preparation of PSAs should be requested on a Professional Services Agreement Request. Review or preparation of releases and waivers should be requested on a Release and Waiver Request. The form should be completed in full and emailed, faxed or mailed to the Contracts Specialist.