2014 - 2015 Student Health Insurance Plan
It is important that Brown University students have access to comprehensive medical care while enrolled at Brown. Therefore, all newly registered students will be automatically enrolled in the Annual 2014 - 2015 Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for coverage effective August 15, 2014 to August 15, 2015. Students will be charged the Annual premium of $3,225. Participation in SHIP is mandatory. However, students may waive enrollment in SHIP if they are covered by a comparable health insurance plan. When evaluating your plan, you must verify the following:
- My plan provides adequate coverage that is accessible in the Providence area for:
- Lab tests and x-rays
- Prescription drugs
- Hospitalization (including room & board, physicians' fees and surgical expenses)
- Outpatient hospital services
- Mental Health care
- Emergency room care
- Intercollegiate sports injuries (for those participating, your insurance coverage must meet the NCAA required minimum coverage amount of $90,000)
- My plan will cover me through August 15, 2015
- My plan does not have a high deductible that needs to be met before I am allowed to access coverage
Example of important coverage consideration:
If you are covered by an HMO, will you have coverage for lab tests, x-rays or prescriptions ordered by University Health Services or a local provider? Many plans will not pay outside of your home area unless it is an emergency, which may result in you paying for the test or services in full.
Students must complete an online waiver form at www.universityhealthplans.com by the deadline of June 1, 2014. To access the waiver form, please visit University Health Plans' (UHP) website.
Please note that a waiver form must be submitted EACH academic year if you do not want to participate in the University's Student Health Insurance Plan.
The Insurance Office is pleased to continue our partnership with University Health Plans, Inc. for administration of the 2014 - 2015 Student Health Insurance Plan.
Please note: After a co-payment, prescriptions will be covered at 100% (in network).
When using the Brown University Student Health Insurance Plan, please be aware of the following:
- There is a $300 deductible, however it is waived for Emergency Room visits, diagnostic X-Rays and Laboratory Tests when ordered by Health Services, outpatient mental health visits, physician office visits, in-network preventative screening/lab, outpatient prescription drugs, and other outpatient services when provided by University Health Services.
- There is a $100 deductible for inpatient hospitalization or outpatient surgery performed at a hospital or hospital affiliated surgical center. This deductible is in addition to the $300 deductible.
- In addition to the providers on the First Health Network list, you may also visit East Side Vision Care and University Orthopedics.
- Emergency Room visits have a $100 copay, while Urgent Care Center visits have a $25 copay.
For more information, please see the plan brochure.
The benefits for the annual eye exam under our student health insurance plan have not changed. The Davis Vision Plan is a discount vision care plan that gives students access to purchase eyeglasses and contact lenses at a discounted price, something that was not previously available. It is in addition to the standard annual eye exam benefit that continues to be available through the student health insurance plan. In addition to providers listed on the First Health Network, arrangements have been made for East Side Vision Care to be considered an "in-network" provider for the annual eye exam.
For Important Information for Graduate Students click here
Click Forms and Links to the left for more information about Brown University's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
Click here for some helpful information about insurance terminology.