Special Victims Unit
The Special Victims Unit is intended to be a year around, comprehensive support service for the victims and survivors of the sensitive crimes to include hate crimes, sexual assault, assaults and robberies, relationship violence, and stalking. Our law enforcement advocate works cooperatively with the DPS Detectives, Office of Student Life, Psychological Services, and Employee Relations to ensure individuals are knowledgeable about their options for safety. The unit also coordinates events and programming that serves to raise awareness about such sensitive crimes, women's self-defense and safety, and the many sources of support available to victims in the state of R.I.
A law enforcement advocate is available to provide post-crisis support to persons who report they have been a victim of a crime. Community members who have not experienced a crime, but want to explore our services are welcome to call as well. Services available include:
- Victim advocacy and support
- Individual and workplace safety-planning
- Review of RI victim rights,Campus Sexual Assault Bill of Rights, related law, legal definitions of crimes, and relative legislation
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to local courts, Providence Police Department, and Attorney General's office as necessary
- Provide resource information, as well as referrals to external agencies servicing victims of crime, and their families in Rhode Island and Massachusetts
- Explain options and procedures for reporting
- Explain protective orders, court procedures, as well as steps involved in criminal prosecution
- Assistance with obtaining protective orders
- Educational initiatives
- Self-defense training for women
These services are available to staff, faculty, and students. Individuals who wish to become more informed about any of the aforementioned areas, or would like develop an individualized plan for safety, are welcome to make an appointment.
Please note: Those who seek our services are NOT required to file a police report.
For more information about these services, please
contact Michelle Nuey at (401)863-2542 or (401)863-3322.