Purchase Order Function
A Purchase order is a contract for the purchase of merchandise. It documents and communicate the transaction specifications. It also serves to protect the University’s legal position via the standard terms and conditions of purchase printed on the reverse side of the vendor copy. Finally, the numbered form also serves as documentation for invoice processing, and as an auditable source document supporting the incurred financial liability.
Types of Purchase Orders
- Regular Orders - Created from purchase requisitions, which serve as “source documents for the transaction. When required “documentation” is attached to the requisition, review and approval takes place the same day or next day depending on the time received in the Purchasing Department.
- Blanket Order - Issued to cover periodic requirements for products/services over a designated term within the University fiscal year. Products/services should be itemized, or classified when necessary; including volume projections, discount levels, and aggregate “not to exceed” cost.
- Change Order - Issued to document an amended change to an existing “open” purchase order transaction. Changes may pertain to product specifications, scope of work, standards, term of agreement, unit pricing/total cost, etc. Note: Change orders will not be processed for completed orders. A new requisition/purchase order will be required.
- Orders under$500 - Low dollar volume transactions tracked and monitored to determine the availability/practicality of alternate ordering processes.
- Check With Order - The originating department notes on the requisition, and provides documentation from the vendor that a check in the amount of $xxxx is required with the purchase order for the purchase of goods and/or services.
- Goods that cannot be purchased on Purchasing Card.
- Online web copy requisitions to resubmit – For online training – Please contact Debra_Scaramuzzi@brown.edu
- Reason for request (Please note “vendor does not accept credit cards”)
- Required for line item (Brief description of products).
- Term of agreementt 07/01/05 – 06/30/06.
- Dollar value of blanket purchase orders (Based on last year's spend)
- State Vendor Relationship (Preferred Vendor or Contract Vendor)
- Please note:
- Maintenance and Service Contracts should not be processed as a Blanket Order.
- Documentation Requirements; $10,000.00 and over sole source description (this can be noted in the DOCUMENT COMMENT SECTION on Web Requisition).