Skip over navigation

Student Information Rights

Statement of Independence from Parents

An undergraduate student who is not claimed as a dependent by his or her parents for federal income tax purposes (Section 152 of Title 26 of U.S. Code) may declare this at the beginning of each semester by signing a "statement of independence from parents" available at the registrar's office. A student who fails to submit this notification shall be presumed to be dependent and his or her parents may then be kept informed of the student's status at this University, including academic standing, violations of the academic code, disciplinary violations, and facts relating to the status of the student.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Brown University complies with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 which was enacted to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the Act. The policies and procedures established by the University in accordance with the provisions of the Act may be obtained upon request from the Office of the Dean of the College.

Directory Information

Brown University employs an electronic directory that can be accessed on the University's home page. Directory listings include each student's name, degree level, e-mail address, and campus postal box. All of these items are included in the University's definition of directory or public information. Students who have questions and/or wish to suppress their directory information from public view should consult the Office of the Registrar (J. Walter Wilson Hall, Room 318).