Resources for Students

Members of the Brown community understandably have concerns about the potential and real impacts the economy. Below is information about educational and support resources available to you at Brown that can be helpful depending on how the situation is affecting you or your family, friends, and community.

If you have comments, suggestions, or questions about available resources, please e-mail Campus Life and Student Services.

Campus Communications

Letter to Undergraduate Students about Pre-Registration Policy

Letter to Brown Community about Financial Aid

Letter to Graduate Students about Planning and Counseling in this Economic Situation

Letter to Undergraduate Students about Economic Situation

Support Services

If the economic situation is very directly affecting you and your family, and you would like to talk to someone about the ways that it may impact your educational plans, the following resources are available:

  • All Students: In the Office of Student Life, there is a dean of the day available every day from 8:30-5.
  • Undergraduate Students: The deans in the Office of the Dean of the College are available daily from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (second floor University hall, 863-9800).
  • Graduate Students: Sheila Bonde, Dean of the Graduate School has open office hours every Monday from 1 to 2:30 p.m., and she and associate deans are available, by appointment.
  • Students in the Division of Biology and Medicine: Nancy Thompson, Associate Dean for Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, Division of Biology and Medicine, is available by appointment.

Psychological Services' staff members are available to provide personal support, and you may make an appointment to talk with someone by calling 863-3476; Psychological Services is located on the fifth floor of J. Walter Wilson.

Brown’s chaplains (Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life) are available to students of all backgrounds for confidential advice, counsel and support. The Chaplains’ Discretionary Fund is also able to offer modest assistance for the personal needs of students. The Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life is located on the fourth floor of J. Walter Wilson. Please call 863-2344 for an appointment.

In addition, the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services has an emergency fund for unanticipated student needs. Undergraduates, graduate, and medical students can request assistance for emergency funding by calling 863-1800.

Financial Aid

If your family’s financial status has changed significantly, you may consult with the Office of Financial Aid (second floor J. Walter Wilson, 863-2721). The Office of Financial Aid can assist you and your family in identifying options available to assist in paying your student account.

Please refer to Provost Kertzer's update on Brown's pre-registration policy (April 13, 2009) for additional information.


If you are worried about how the financial market is affecting job prospects, the Career Development Center can assist with your planning. The Center, located at 167 Angell Street across from the Bookstore (863-3326), has walk-in hours every day during which you may speak with a career counselor.

Graduate students should also consult their program faculty. Please note that research funding and job opportunities are invariably cyclic. Many of your advisors have first-hand experience with fluctuations, and will be available to work with you to navigate this challenge.