Brown First XV v. University of Pennsylvania First XV
Saturday, September 24, 2016
Brown Rugby Field
Providence, Rhode Island
Brown defeated the University of Pennsylvania 39-8 in its first Ivy Conference match, scoring 3 times on two converted tries and one unconverted in the first 7 minutes of the match and denying Penn any possession through the first 11 minutes of play.
However, Brown lost their way for the next 29 minutes as was the case against Babson. The team lost its shape, players lost balls in contact and decision making was questionable. With a good Homecoming crowd on a spectacular fall day, Brown was not performing to its capability and Penn seemed ready to pounce. A Penn penalty kick closed the first half scoring with Brown up by 16, but Penn had the wind at its back for the second half.
Penn with momentum were in the Brown half when Brown center Trevor Anesi’18 intercepted an errant Penn pass four minutes into the second half and ran in a try from 50 meters. With Brown up 24-3, the match was out of reach for the Quakers.
Penn did score a second half try, but additional Brown scores by hooker John Landers’17, a second try by Anesi, a two point conversion by Ogilvy and a penalty kick for 3 points by McHugh put a Brown exclamation point on the match. The Lander’s try was particularly well played as center Connor McDermott’18 made nice break to move Brown to the halfway line and then #10 Alex Ogilvy’20, Landers and Nkanyiso Nzimande’20 all had touches of the ball before Landers crossed the line.
Referee: Antoine Galou
1. Kerim Saraoglu'20
2. Francis Rosenberg’18, replaced at halftime by John Landers’17
3. Hank Richardson '17
4. Dakota Fenn’19
5. Graham Rotenberg’17, replaced at halftime by Rosenberg.
6. Mike Manning’17, replaced at halftime by Rotenberg
7. Nzimande Nkanyiso’20
8. Jae Kim’20
9. Joe Paolino'17
10. Alexander Ogilvy’20
11. Placid Unegbu’17, replaced at 60 minutes by Mike Ball’19
12. Connor McDermott’18
13. Trevor Anesi’18
14. Nick Hoynes'19
15. Pete McHugh'17
Reserves: Tyler Johnson’19, Alex Berman’19, Devyn Collado-Nichol’20, Thomas Kim’18, Mike Ball’19, Alan Swierczynski’18
Brown Second XV v. University of Pennsylvania Second XV
Penn traveled with a limited squad so the Second XV match was played 12 on 12.
The Brown Seconds matched the success of the First XV, defeating the Quakers 39-5. First half tries by Alex Berman, Devyn Collado-Nichol, Mike Ball and Thomas Kim, along with conversions of the first two tries by Ball gave the Bears a commanding 24-0 halftime lead.
Second half tries by Matt Dowling, Liam Campbell and Danilo Jiminez added 15 Brown points against one second half try for Penn.
Referee: Elvy Asonye
- Brad Bentz’18
- John Landers’17, replaced at halftime by David Katzevich’20
- Tyler Johnson’19
- Scott Brown’18
- Alex Berman’19, replaced at halftime by Matt Dowling ‘19
- Devyn Collado-Nichol’20
- Thomas Kim’18
- Mike Ball’19, replaced at halftime by Federico Torti
- Henry Miller’19, replaced at halftime by Danilo Jiminez’19
- Zach Fredman’19, replaced at halftime by Mitchell Yeary’19
- Vicek Pandit’20, replaced at halftime by Alan Swierczynski
- Alan Swierczynski’18, replaced at halftime by Oliver Herman’19
- Federico Torti’18, replaced at halftime by Liam Campbell’17
Brown travels to Dartmouth next Saturday for its second Ivy Conference match.