Job Posting: Application Scientist Specialist
For the full job posting, and to apply for this position, please visit https://careers.brown.edu/ and search for Job No. B01425.
Application Scientist Specialist
The Application Scientist Specialist is responsible for the collaborative support of targeted sciences research projects, preferably with an emphasis on applications in the humanities and social sciences. The incumbent will provide advice and support to researchers on the proper methodology to conduct data analysis, synthesis, modeling and visualization; will establish research collaborations involving statistical programming, literature reviews and perform analyses; will assist researchers in developing grant applications including protocol/research design; will assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals; will establish and maintain collaborations with other statistical oriented centers and will support applications used for graphical representations of data and information visualization; will work with CCV's technical staff, graduate student Technology Assistants, and part-time undergrads, to contribute in the provision of timely and effective user support in a fast-paced, modern academic high-performance computing facility.
- A master degree in the social sciences or related field with a minimum of three years of experience and a strong methodological/analytical background or a combination of education and experience
- Quantitative, mathematical and statistical skills required for explorative data mining
- Experience in research protocol development, data management and analysis
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Applications support, and user support experience, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly to individuals with different levels of technical knowledge.
- Ability to work independently, managing tasks, projects, prioritization, timelines and goals
- Expertise in the use of major statistical and mathematical applications such as R, SAS, Matlab, and Mathematica.
- Ph.D in the Social Sciences or related field
- Moderate to advanced programming experience in C, C++, Python or Perl.
- Expertise in the UNIX operating system.
- Knowledge of parallel computing and/or cloud computing techniques.
- Experience or desire to work in an academic setting.
- Graphics and Visualization expertise
- Experience with spatial analysis