Research Data Storage
RData is a high-performance storage system for research data that
- is accessible from all CCV systems
- can be mounted on PC or Mac computers on Brown’s campus network
- is backed up on a nightly incremental basis.
RData is accessible as the /gpfs/data file system on CCV systems. Users can access RData from our CIFS share. This can be mapped as a drive in Windows and mounted in Mac OS X and Linux from any campus system (off-campus use requires a VPN connection to campus). If you already have a CCV account, contact us to confirm that your account is CIFS-enabled. Then follow our guide to access the share on your workstation or laptop.Note: This file system is for open data. Rdata is not designed to store confidential data (information about an individual or entity). If you have confidential data that needs to be stored please contact us so we can find out what your needs are and possible solutions.
Accounts & Access: All faculty members receive a free 256GB allocation, which is shared among their students and lab members. Additional storage can be purchased on an annual or long term basis (see rates and ordering information).
CCV also provides a research data backup and archival server and tape library running IBM’s Tivoli Storage Management system.
- Backup Retention: 30 days
- Versions of any one file: 30
- Backup capacity on tape: 2x total disk quota. Excess data on tape is charged at standard backup rates.