Kristen Stone, PhD - Assistant Professor
Dr. Stone is an assistant professor (Research) in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior. Dr. Stone received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology with subspecialties in behavioral medicine and public health from The University of Memphis. She completed her clinical psychology internship and postdoctoral fellowship at Brown University. Dr. Stone's research focuses on causal relationships between sleep problems and addiction. Her current research focuses on 1) sleeping difficulties in children and adolescents with prenatal drug exposure and 2) the role of sleep in relapse to drugs and alcohol. She is currently conducting an NIH-funded study investigating possible links between sleep and relapse to smoking. Dr. Stone also treats individuals and couples with psychological problems stemming from health conditions, addiction, and other life events. She specializes in treating individuals across the lifespan with insomnia and other sleep disorders.
- Stone, K. C., LaGasse, L. L., Lester, B. M., Shankaran, S., Bada, H. S., Bauer, C. R., & Hammond, J. A. (2010). Sleep problems in children with prenatal substance exposure: The Maternal Lifestyle Study. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 164, 452-456.
- Stone, K. C., High, P. C., Miller-Loncar, C. L., LaGasse, L. L., & Lester, B. M. (2009). Longitudinal study of maternal report of sleep problems in children with prenatal exposure to cocaine and other drugs. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 7, 196-207. PMCID2766926
- Stone, K. C., Taylor, D. J., McCrae, C. S., Kalsekar, A., & Lichstein, K. L. (2008). Nonrestorative sleep. Sleep Medicine Review, 12, 275-288.
- Sanford, S. D., Bush, A. J., Stone, K. C., Lichstein, K. L., & Aguillard, N. (2008). Psychometric evaluation of the Beck Anxiety Inventory: A sample with sleep-disordered breathing. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 6, 193-205.
- Leventhal, A. M., Kahler, C. W., Ray, L. A., Stone, K. C., Young, D., Chelminski, I., & Zimmerman, M. (2008). Anhedonia and amotivation in psychiatric outpatients with fully remitted stimulant use disorder. American Journal on Addictions, 17, 218-223.
- Lichstein, K. L., Stone, K. C., Donaldson, J., Nau, S. D., Soeffing, J. P., Murray, D., Lester, K. W., & Aguillard, R. N. (2006). Actigraphy validation with insomnia. Sleep, 29, 232-239.
- Lichstein, K. L., Stone, K. C., Nau, S. D., McCrae, C. S., & Payne, K. L. (2006). Insomnia in the elderly. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 1, 221-229.
- Nau, S. D., McCrae, C. S., Cook (Stone), K., & Lichstein, K. L. (2005). Treatment of insomnia in older adults. Clinical Psychology Review, 25, 645-672.