economics at Brown University
<< Back

Study Abroad/Transfer Credit

Course Credit vs. Concentration Credit Course credit counts toward completion of the general course requirements for graduation from Brown. Concentration credit counts towards completion of concentration requirement and the standards are higher.

To receive concentration credit for courses completed outside of Brown, courses should be advanced economics courses, meaning they have a prerequisite of a theory course like Econ 1110/1130. More elementary courses may receive course credit but not concentration credit. Often, business or management programs offer courses that overlap those offered by an economics dept, but they are not considered economics courses by Brown because they are not taught by economist, and/or economic modes of analysis are not central, and they will not receive concentration credit. The Transfer Credit Advisor alone determines whether a course receives concentration credit.

A student may request concentration credit for courses outside Brown for:

  1. Courses taken before transferring to Brown from another college or university
  2. AP work done prior to college
  3. Summer courses
  4. Study abroad

1. Transferring to Brown

When transferring from another institution to Brown, there is no limit to the number of economics courses for which you can receive concentration credit. The Transfer Credit Adviser makes a determination as to whether a course taken at your former institution is a) not equivalent to any course at Brown and does not receive concentration credit, b) is equivalent to a course at Brown, is assigned that course number and receives concentration credit), or c) is not equivalent to a course at Brown but is sufficiently advanced to receive concentration credit and receives “unassigned” credit.

Note: to get credit for Economics 0110 (Introductory Economics), it is necessary to have taken both an Introductory Microeconomics course and an Introductory Macroeconomics course at your previous insitution.

2. AP Work Prior to College

You can receive credit for Econ 0110 if you have received a score of 4 or 5 on BOTH the AP Microeconomics and the AP Macroeconomics exams. See here for more detail. Note: for the class of 2016 and beyond, placing out of Econ 0110 with AP credit requires you to take an additional 1000-level course (6 instead of 5 1000-level courses).

3. Summer Courses

4. Study Abroad

We do not try to steer students towards particular schools (although we are happy to share if a university is well known in Economics). Since you may have other reasons for wanting to study in Mexico, Japan, or elsewhere, we try to give credit for any bona fide college or university course in economics, regardless of where taken, as long as it satisfies our concentration (or college) credit requirements.

We limit the number of credits that fulfill concentration requirement to one per semester abroad or three per year abroad.

Approval Procedure

A course can be approved for concentration credit only AFTER the course has been completed and the transcript received by Brown. The student should give to the transfer credit advisor. For more information, see the webpage of the Transfer Credit Adviser Susanne Schennach.