The Center has one vehicle for use by our faculty, students, and staff - a Toyota Prius. In order to to use this vehicle, the following procedures must be followed:
- You must be using the vehicle to conduct University related business. The vehicle cannot be used for personal errands, travel, or trips. Please visit www.zipcar.com/brown/ for such purposes.
- Zipcar travel will only be reimbursed for ENVS concentrators, when the destination being traveled to is not on the bus route, since people with Brown ID cards can ride the bus for free. Please visit http://www.ripta.com/. Zipcars should only be used if the Prius is not available, the bus won't get you there, it's a necessary business trip and there are no other options. A Brown Zipcar account will not be established for those needing a vehicle for personal use.
- You must be an “authorized driver” and have completed the mandatory driver’s training to comply with safeDRIVE. Please see safeDRIVE, Motor Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization Information: Click Here
- You must read the brief Toyota Prius guide. While driving the Prius is basically the same as any other car, there are a few differences and concerns that you need to know about. Failure of drivers to familiarize themselves with correctly operating the vehicle has caused expensive repairs. The consequences of such actions may lead to the driver being held personally responsible for paying reparations and/or exclusion from further use of the Prius.
- Prius must be returned with a full tank of gas
- Make sure the car is cleaned out of all garbage when it is returned
- The UEL is not responsible for parking or speeding tickets issued to persons using the Prius
- UEL staff must be notified immediately of any accidents or damage to the Prius
- Students, staff or faculty who use the Prius on a fairly regular bases are expected to wash and vacuum the car at least once a month.
Our Toyota Prius
Our Prius has an efficient hybrid drive system that includes an electric motor combined with a small gas engine, which helps reduce the impact on the environment and saves money on gas.
* We regret to inform our students and staff that the CES Van has become too costly to maintain and has been retired. Anyone needing to reserve a 7-passenger van may do so through our Zipcar account. Please e-mail either Jeanne Medeiros or Jeanne Loewenstein to submit a request to be added to the account.
To reserve a vehicle
Please check the calendar for availability:
You can view the current schedule. If the time you want is available, please email Jeanne Medeiros or Jeanne Loewenstein for permission to make a reservation. Be sure to include a cell phone number with each request so that we may contact you with any questions or changes that may need to be made to the schedule.