Construction of Ladd Observatory
The construction of Brown University's observatory began in May 1890. The building opened on October 21st, 1891. The observatory is dedicated to benefactor Herbert W. Ladd, Governor of Rhode Island from 1889-90 and 1891-92.
At the center of the photo is the masonry pier to support the main telescope. The pier is independent from the building constructed around it, and also contains the clock vault. At the back is the transit observation room.