References on Historic Scientific Instruments
- Fellman, Bruce. "Enchanted Evenings - Ladd Observatory Turns 100." Brown Alumni Monthly March 1992: 39-45. (702 KB pdf)
- Smiley, Charles H. and Jean Roberts. A Guide to the Moon. Providence, RI: Ladd Observatory, Brown University, 1948. (1,475 KB pdf)
Other Historic Observatories
- Links to the Past at the Antique Telescope Society website.
- History of the U.S. Naval Observatory.
- Restoration Plan of the University of Michigan's Detroit Observatory.
Riefler Clock at NIST
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Museum in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- "NIST's History Measuring Time & Frequency."
- "Historic NBS Clock Working Again." Highlights from the Manufacturing Engineering Laboratory August 2001.
- "Old Ticker at NIST Gets a New Lease on Life." NIST Tech Beat September 2001.
- Bell, Trudy E. "The Victorian Global Positioning System." The Bent of Tau Beta PI Spring 2002: 14-21.
- Poniz, Philip. "An Extraordinary Tiffany & Co. Clock: Conant's ingenious Isochronal Regulator." Antiquorum VOX Magazine Spring 2004.
- Whitesell, Patricia S. "Nineteenth-century longitude determination in the Great Lakes region: government-university collaborations." Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage 3.2 (December 2000): 131-157.
- Beckett, Edmund. A Rudimentary Treatise on Clocks and Watches and Bells. Seventh edition. London: Crosby Lockwood, 1883.
- Bowie, William. Determination of Time, Longitude, Latitude, and Azimuth. Special Publication No. 14. Fifth edition. Washington: US Government Printing Office, 1913.
- Gould, R.E. Testing of Timepieces. Circular of the National Bureau of Standards C432. Washington: US Government Printing Office, 1941.
- Haswell, J. Eric. Horology. London: Chapman and Hall, 1928.
- Mercer, Vaudrey. The Frodshams. The Story of a Family of Chronometer Makers. Monograph No. 21 Antiquarian Horological Society, 1981.
- Milham, Willis I. "Precision Clocks -- Their Construction, Care, and Accuracy." Time & Timekeepers. New York: MacMillan, 1923. 330-342.
- Rawlings, A.L. The Science of Clocks and Watches. Second edition. New York: Pitman, 1948.