Brown University Alpert Medical School | Rhode Island Hospital
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Welcome to Rhode Island, the Ocean State!
Located on the Atlantic Ocean, Rhode Island offers beautiful beaches and bountiful seafood. Although the smallest state, it is not short on things to do and see.
Beaches: With approximately 400 miles of coastline, RI has over 100 beaches
Restaurants: Home to the world-class culinary school at Johnson & Wales University, Providence boasts more degreed chefs per capita than any other city in the United States.
Arts: Providence is called the "creative capital". With the nationally famous art school, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) located in the heart of Providence there is a thriving art scene. The performing arts are also a big part of Providence culture, led by Tony Award-winning Trinity Repertory Company. Music lovers will enjoy the Rhode Island Philharmonic and Opera Providence. For dance enthusiasts, there is the Festival Ballet Providence.
- WaterFire Providence, is an annual event that draws hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city. This series of bonfires installed on the three rivers of downtown Providence entices with aromatic wood smoke, flickering firelight and enchanting music. The event occurs several times a month from May - October.
- Newport Jazz Festival, was the first annual Jazz Festival in the US. It has been host to numerous legendary performances by some of the world's leading established and emerging artists. Historic moments since its inception include performances by Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane and Miles Davis. Referred to as the grandfather of all jazz festivals, the event draws thousands of people from all over the world.
- Rhode Island International Film Festival has risen to the top ranks among world film events. Cited as one of the "Best International and Short Film Festivals in the United States"
For more information, please visit the Rhode Island Website
Just Outside of Rhode Island:
- Maine: Beautiful coasts, skiing, hiking
- Connecticut: Foxwoods Casino, Mohegan Sun Casino
- Massachusetts: Foxboro Stadium home to the New England Patriots, Six Flags New England, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard
- By Air: Located 10 minutes from Providence in Warwick, the TF Green Airport has been rated one of the top 5 best airports in the US by Travel + Leisure magazine
- By Train: Providence is located on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor between Washington DC/New York City and Boston. High speed Acela Express train service transports passengers from New York City to Providence in about two and a half hours
- By Bus: Many commercial bus and charter lines run to and from Providence
- By Car:
- From Boston I-95 S, approx 1 hour
- From New York City I-95 N, approx 3.5 hours
*Brown University Alpert Medical School Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery