This is an image

We are pleased to introduce the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology at Manning Hall (HMAMH), our new satellite gallery on the Brown University campus in Providence, Rhode Island. Opened on May 27th, 2005, inaugurating our 50th anniversary as part of Brown University, this new gallery extends the Haffenreffer Museum's ability to reach onto campus and into the heart of Providence's metropolitan district.

The gallery, located on the ground floor of Manning Hall on Brown University's Main Green, was designed by Signer Harris Architects (Boston) and offers 2000 square feet of modern exhibition space as well as easy access for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the Brown campus.

Hours: 10 a.m - 4 p.m. Tuesday - Sunday

Admission to the gallery is free, although donations are always gratefully accepted.

Click here for maps and driving directions.

Exhibitions

The Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology at Manning Hall will host changing exhibitions curated by Brown University students working with the Haffenreffer Museum's staff. The gallery's current exhibition, Believing Africa, explores spirituality and essential questions of faith across the African continent. The gallery's first exhibition, Warp Speeds, which examined globalization from an anthropological perspective and a focus on textiles can be viewed online.

Gallery Night at Manning Hall

The Haffenreffer Museum Gallery at Manning Hall is proud to participate in Gallery Night Providence and will be open from 5-9 pm on the third Thursday of each month through November, 2005. Please visit www.gallerynight.info for more information.

About Manning Hall

Manning Hall, opened in 1834, was the third major building constructed on Brown University's campus. Designed as a double-sized replica of the Doric-order temple of Diana-Propylea in Eleusis, Manning Hall originally housed the university's first free-standing library and its chapel. Later, the building served as a museum of classical antiquities, an architectural drawing studio, and an undergraduate lecture space. In 1959, the upper floor was returned to its original role as the University's chapel, after a hiatus of 65 years. Currently, Manning Hall houses the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology's satellite gallery and Manning Chapel.

Manning Hall has been renovated for this gallery at President Ruth Simmons's behest. We thank her for her initiative, as well as many others for their subsequent efforts: Provost Robert Zimmer, his staff, and the design and construction team that met under the guidance of Mike McCormick and Joanna Saltonstall in Brown's Department of Facilities Management - William S. Harris and colleagues at Signer Harris Architects; Andy Keating and others at Shawmut Design and Construction; Frances Halsband of R.M. Kliment and Frances Halsband Architects; Jonathan Alger of Chermayaff and Geismar Inc.; and Janet Cooper-Nelson and fellow chaplains in the Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life.

For more information on Manning Hall's unique history, please see its entry in the Encyclopedia Brunonia.

Historical Photos

This is an image This is an image
Manning Library, ca 1874 Gallery of Classical Antiquities, ca 1893
This is an image This is an image
Manning Hall Classroom, ca 1890 Modern Classroom, 2003
This is an image This is an image
Manning Gallery Under Construction, 2004 Manning Gallery Today