Welcome! This is a summary of information regarding Library services and policies as they apply to library users who are not currently Brown students, faculty or staff.

arrow image to a linkAccess to Library Buildings |arrow image to a linkSummary of Access Priviliges |arrow image to a linkLocating Materials

arrow image to a linkOther Library Services & Facilities

Access to Library Buildings

Rockefeller Library, Sciences Library and Orwig Music Library

All library users must show authorization and accepted identification in order to enter these general collection libraries. Although not open to the public, there are many ways to arrange for use of these facilities and their collections. See the publication Use of the Brown University Library: arrow image to a link for complete information. All questions regarding use of these libraries may be directed to Rockefeller Circulation (401 863-2165).

John Hay Library and John Carter Brown Library

The special collections in the arrow image to a linkJohn Hay Library are available to the public; contact Readers' Services for more information (401 863-3723). The arrow image to a linkJohn Carter Brown Library, containing an outstanding collection of rare Americana, is a separately administered unit of Brown University; questions concerning access to it should be directed there (401 863-2725).

These units of the Library are available to non-Brown patrons by special arrangement only. Please contact them for information: Demography (401-863-2371), Art Slide Library (401 863-3218), Media Services (401 863-2197)

Summary of Access Privileges

Access privileges allow an authorized individual to use most library material within the Rockefeller, Sciences, or Orwig Libraries, including books and bound periodicals in open stacks, current periodicals and newspapers, microforms, and printed reference material. All library users must bring a their issued Brown Library access card, a written referral from consortial library partner, or a library card from a consortial partner to be admitted.

Some collections and services are reserved for Brown faculty, students and staff, and are therefore not available for others: use of course reserve material, interlibrary loan services, referral to other libraries, data base searching, use of some cd-rom/electronic products, non-print listening and viewing facilities, and carrel assignments. These services may be available at an individual's local public library, or his/her home institution's library.

To protect the library's collections, please use material with care, do not write in books, keep them dry, and refrain from using self-stick notes. Also, be aware that damage, concealment, or theft of library materials is prohibited by the University and the Library, and also by Rhode Island State law.

Locating Materials

Library Holdings and Links to Electronic Publications.arrow image to a link Josiah, the Brown Library Online Catalog, provides information about material in Brown's collections (including books, periodicals, scores, sound recordings, videos) as well as thousands of electronic publications. Computers for accessing Josiah are located near the Reference areas in all libraries, and on many stack floors of the Rockefeller and Sciences Libraries.arrow image to a linkJosiah can be accessed on the web at:arrow image to a link

Make a note of the location and exact call number of the material you wish to use. If the item you want is listed as "checked out" or "in transit" you may place a hold and recall it at the Circulation desk (or by calling 863-2165). If it is "in process" or "on order" you may request notification by filling out the electronic form: arrow image to a link

Book Stacks. Rockefeller, Sciences, and Orwig are open-stack, self-service libraries, with books arranged according to the Library of Congress call number system. Check the building's stack directory near the elevator (or on the web at):arrow image to a link to determine the floor for the call number you want. Then consult the map on that floor to locate the specific range. If you can't find what you want, please ask a staff member for assistance.

Course Reserves. Faculty may place required readings on course reserve at Rockefeller (level 2), Sciences (lobby), Orwig, Demography and/or John Hay Libraries. Items on reserve can be viewed by selecting "Reserve Lists" on Josiah. Course Reserve items have restricted loan periods, usually 3 hours, and overdue fines of 50 cents per hour. For more information call 863-2517 or see the reserve web page:arrow image to a link

Government Documents. Not all government documents are listed in Josiah. Assistance in identifying and locating government publications can be obtained in the Reference area at the Rockefeller Library.

arrow image to a linkMicroforms. Microfilm and microfiche, with appropriate readers and printers, are located in the Hecker Center and the Periodicals Reading Room on Rock Level 1, and on Level A of the Sciences Library.

arrow image to a linkPeriodicals. Current periodicals are shelved in call number order in the Periodicals Reading Room on level 1 of the Rock, on Level A of the Sci Li, and in the Orwig Reading Room. Older volumes are in the book stacks according to call number. Note that most periodicals are restricted to in-library use only.

Photocopying. Self-service photocopiers at the Rock are on level 2 and in the Periodical Reading Room; at Sciences they are in the Lobby and on several stack floors; there is one copier in the Orwig reading room. A color copying service is provided by the Circulation/Reserves staff at the Rockefeller Library. Library users are responsible for insuring that copying complies with U.S. copyright laws. Change Machines are located near the Circulation desks of the Rock and Sci Li.

Reference, Information and Library Instruction. Reference assistance is available most hours that the libraries are open. The reference area is located on Level 1 in the Rock and on Level A in Sciences. The print and electronic reference collections, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, indexes and directories, are located nearby. Many resources can be accessed from the library research center web site: arrow image to a link For telephone assistance, call 401-863-2167 (Rockefeller Reference) or 401-863-3333 (Sciences Reference).

Other Library Services & Facilities

Accessibility. Rockefeller, Sciences, and Orwig Libraries are wheelchair accessible. Circulation staff in all libraries can retrieve materials and provide other special services as required for individuals with physical limitations. A reader for the visually impaired is available in the Hecker Center of the Rock.

Computers. Computer clusters, featuring the electronic Library Research Center, are located near the reference desk of each library, and library staff is usually nearby to help. Computing and Information Services provides computers on level 2 of the Rock, and on the Mezzanine of Sciences; a registered Brown University "net ID" is required. Carrels for laptop use are in the Hecker Center, Rock level 1.

Comments to: arrow image to a link Brown University Library Web Team
Last Updated: Friday, 03-Nov-2006 11:13:39 EST
© 2000, Brown University Library. All rights reserved.

You are the 5,139thrd visitor since February 3, 2001.