Latino and Chicano Resources at Brown University Library
Click on the title to check the status, call number, and location of
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
Print-Based Indexes and Bibliographies
- Bibliografia Chicana: A Guide to Information Sources
- Bibliographic guide to Chicana and Latina narrative
- Bibliography of Criticism of Contemporary Chicano Literature
- Bibliography of Mexican American History
- Comprehensive Bibliography for the Study of American Minorities
- Chicana Studies Index: Twenty Years of Gender Research, 1971-1991
- Chicano Anthology Index, 1965-1987
- Childbearing among Hispanics in the United States: An Annotated Bibliography
- Cuba, Cubans and Cuban-Americans, 1902-1991: a bibliography
- Cubans in the United States: a bibliography for research in the social
and behavioral sciences, 1960-1983
- Hispanic Image on the Silver Screen, 1898-1935
- Hispanic Periodicals in the United States, Origins to 1960
- Latinas of the Americas: A Sourcebook
- Latinos in the United States: A Historical Bibliography
- Literatura Chicana, 1965-1995: An Anthology in Spanish, English, and Caló
- Mexican Americans: A Research Bibliography
- Mexican Americans: An Annotated Bibliography of Bibliographies
- Mexican Americans in Urban Society: A Selected Bibliography
- México/Estados Unidos: bibliografía general sobre estudios fronterizos
- Reference Materials on Mexican Americans: An Annotated Bibliography
- Selected and Annotated Bibliography of Chicano Studies
- Sourcebook of Hispanic Culture in the United States
Electronic Indexes and Bibliographies
Resources with Substancial Latino/Chicano Coverage:
- Chicano Database
1960 to present; the Chicano Database identifies all types of material
on Mexican-American topics and about Chicanos, providing extensive
coverage from the 1960s to the present, with selective coverage
dating back to the early 1900s. Also includes the broader Latino
experience, including Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans, and Central
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS)
1935-present; an annual bibliography prepared by a group of scholars
and published under the auspices of the Library of Congress. It
lists new publications under broad subject headings, and includes
- Hispanic American Periodicals Index (HAPI)
1970-present; HAPI is an online source for information about Central
and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico
border region, and Hispanics in the United States. Included are
complete bibliographic citations to articles, book reviews, documents,
original literary works, and other materials appearing in over 400
key scholarly social science and humanities journals published worldwide.
Resources with Partial Latino/Chicano Coverage:
- Academic Search Premier
Current; multi-discipline, full text reference database, designed
for the academic community. Includes full text coverage for just
under 3000 journals, including 1,850 peer-reviewed journals.
- Alternative Press Index
1991 to present; international and interdisciplinary, Alternative
Press Index provides access to nearly 290 alternative, radical and
left periodicals, newspapers and magazines that report and analyze
the practices and theories of cultural, economic, political and
- America: History and Life
1954-present; article abstracts and citations of reviews and dissertations
on the history and culture of the United States and Canada.
- Biography Index
1984-present; indexes more than 2,700 English-language periodicals
for biographical information.
- Contemporary Women's Issues
1992-present; full-text access to global information on women, including
journals and gray literature on women in over 150 countries.
1982-present; source for information on all aspects of education,
including counseling, tests, and measurement.
- Essay and General Literature Index
1985 - present; Essay and General Literature Index focuses on the
humanities and social sciences, with subject coverage ranging from
economics, political science and history to criticism of literary
works, drama and film. Essay and General Literature Index provides
access to the wealth of literature often hidden in compilation works.
- Ethnic Newswatch
Current; a full-text comprehensive collection of the newspapers,
magazines and journals of the ethnic and minority press.
- Literature Resource Center
Current; provides access to biographies, bibliographies and critical
analysis of authors from every age and literary discipline. The
LRC covers more than 90,000 novelists, poets, essayists, journalists
and other writers, and indexe s publications such as Contemporary
Literary Criticism, Dictionary of Literary Biography, and Contemporary
- MLA Bibliography
1963 to the present; produced by the Modern Language Association
of America, it consists of bibliographic records pertaining to literature,
language, linguistics, and folklore. The MLA International Bibliography
provides access to scholarly research in nearly 4,000 journals and
series. It also covers relevant monographs, working papers, proceedings,
bibliographies, and other formats.
- PAIS International
1972-present; information on political science, government, international
relations, law, economics, business, finance, and other social sciences.
1988 to present; provides full text access to articles from journals
published by the American Psychological Association (APA)and allied
organizations. Topics include general psychology, as well as specialized
basic, applied, clinical, and theoretical research in psychology.
1887-present; international source for journal articles, dissertations,
and books in psychology and related disciplines, such as sociology,
linguistics, law, business, and anthropology.
- Social Sciences Citation Index
1988-present; source for information in all major social sciences
disciplines. Useful for retrieving recent articles which cite a
known earlier article.
- Social Services Abstracts
1980-present; CSA Social Services Abstracts provides bibliographic
coverage of current research focused on social work, human services,
and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and
community development. The database abstracts and indexes over 1,600
serials publications and includes abstracts of journal articles
and dissertations, and citations to book reviews.
- Sociological Abstracts
1974-present; information in sociology and related disciplines.
Top left: Original watercolor of an Inca (possibly Manco Capac) found
in vol. 2 of Borrones: un recuerdo para la historia del Alto Perú.
Undated. Church Collection. John Hay Library.
Left: details from "Calavera Carrancista" by José Guadalupe Posada.