Professor Maris came to Brown in 1965 after two years as a postdoctoral research associate at Case Institute of Technology. He is a 1960 graduate of Imperial College, London, where he also received the Ph.D. in 1963, before coming to the United States. In 1972 and 1973 he was a visiting professor at the University of East Anglia in England and at Chalmers Institute of Technology in Goteborg, Sweden. He has carried out research at the Max Planck Institute in Grenoble, University of Tokyo, University of Paris, Centro Atomico Bariloche in Argentina, Institute for Physical Problems in Moscow, the Ecole Normale in Paris, and the University of Hokkaido. He is currently the Hazard Professor of Physics at Brown.
- Wei Guo, former graduate student, now postdoc at Yale
- Dafei Jin, former graduate student, now postdoc at Princeton
- Ambarish Ghosh, former graduate student, now Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- Wanchun Wei, postdoc
- Zhuolin Xie, graduate student
- Bob Booth, graduate student
- Laura Kulowski, undergraduate student
- Nathan Weinberger, undergraduate student