Leaders provide mentoring and facilitate small group gatherings with their group on a regular basis and support BOLT's Fall Program, which is a calendar of events that promote community and skill development.
Leader Training 2014
We are able to offer make-up sessions on a limited basis for some of the trainings, but please understand that if we have requests weekly across the members of the class, this becomes difficult for our managers. (They have classes too.)
Please also know that there are two weekend training dates that you must be able to fully attend and without exception and these include 1) Leader Retreat and 2) Inclusive Facilitation.
Additionally, we have a 5-day Training Trip in April that can only be missed by special permission from our Director. In the case of illness or injuries, we will hold the make-up training trip during the week after commemncent. Travel and job start-dates may need to be adjusted.
Our email is email@example.com.
The 2014 Schedule
- Feb 19, 2014 (Wed) 7-10pm: Leader Intro Meeting
- April 1 (Tue) 7-10pm: Pre-Training Trip Prep Meeting
- Apr 6 (Wed) Return around dinner time from Training Trip
- Apr 13 (Sun) Co-leader Matching. **Leaders must be available between 1pm-7pm for phone calls. Mentors will meet from 10-7pm.
- Apr 16 (Wed) Co-leader Communication
- Apr 23 (Wed) 7-10pm: Behind Closed Doors Scenario Night
- April 26 (Sat) 12:30pm-3:00pm BOLTer Pre-Summer Meeting - Salomon 001
Pre-site Trips for BOLT Leaders for Route review and terrain familiarity begin and will continue into the summer
Wilderness First Responder (WFR) Upgrade Course.
- May 17 -May 23 (Sat-Fri): WFR Upgrade Course. Leaders must have a vaed.
FYI --- Save the Dates!
- May 23-May 25 (Fri-Sun): Commencement Weekend
- May, 24, 2013 (Sat) -- 5pm-7pm: BOLT's Annual Commencement and Reunion Reception
Wilderness Medicine Certification Information
All leaders must be certified in CPR and in wilderness medicine at one of the following levels: Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness EMT (W-EMT).
CPR & Wilderness First Aid (WFA) = 18 hours:
The CPR and Wilderness First Aid Course (offered for BOLT in March) is a national certification course. Although BOLT is able to offer the course for its leaders on campus, leaders may already have this level of certification or they may choose to take the course elsewhere on their own time.
Wilderness First Responder Upgrade Course = 60 more hours:
We will need 22 leaders from the leader class to enroll in the course. This allows us to have at least one leader on each route certified at the WFR or WEMT level, plus have flexibility to complete leader matching or fill vacancies when someone is sick or injured.
We host a course for this certification level in two parts -- Wilderness First Aid in March then a WFR Upgrade course in May. You must hold a current/valid CPR and WFA certifcation level from either SOLO Schools or one of the reciprocity programs identified below.
Info for WFR Recerts & WFR Upgrades
1) Leaders may re-cert their WFR certifications with a WFA course, if their certification has not expired and was obtained by one of the schools that SOLO recognizes for reciprocity of certifications.
2) Leaders may enroll in the WFR upgrade course if their WFA certification has not expired and it was obtained by one of the schools that SOLO recognizes for reciprocity of certifications.
3) SOLO has reciprocity with the following 5 programs that use their same curriculum for WFA and WFR:
4) Enrollment in BOLT's WFA & WFR upgrade courses are limited and prioritzed to meet the needs of the program (training the leaders); however, from time to time, there is a space or two available for Brown students. Contact our program director if you are interested.
Fall Semester 2014
Training Review and Trip Prep is required.
- Aug 20 (Wed) 8:30am-5pm: Move back in! - or earlier
We have work to do and skills to dust off. Let's get ready for our BOLTers.
Please plan your travel accordingly to ensure that you are back in time to participate fully.
For on-campus housing, key pick-up at Res Life is during regular business hours: 8:30-5pm.
-- For leaders traveling long distances, such as from the West coast or outside the US, please request a Tuesday arrival to assist with jet lag and flight delay issues. We can submit a special request for housing. --
- Aug 21 (Thur): 12-5pm: Training Review and Trip Prep, Petteruti Lounge
- Aug 22 (Fri): 12-5pm: Training Review, Petteruti Lounges
- Aug 23 (Sat): 12am-5pm: Training Review and Trip Prep
- Aug 24 (Sun): 9:30am-7pm: Pre-Trip Meeting in Alumnae Hall. BOLTers arrive @ noon
- Aug 25-29 (Mon-Fri) 6:30am 48 Olive St: Fall Trip!
- Aug 29 (Fri) 7-9pm: Post Trip Banquet, Multipurpose Room
- Aug 31 (Sun) 10am-1pm: Gear Cleanup & Informal Debrief in Alumnae Hall
- Sep 2 (Tue) 7-10pm: Fall Trip Debrief for Leaders, Multipurpose Room
- Sep 3 (Sun) 10-12 noon: BOLT Wars. Pembroke Field
- Sep 8ish (Mon-Sat) BOLT group gatherings and check in.
- Sep 15 (Mon)-- First Steering Committee Meeting! Faunce, Memorial Room
- Sep 17 (Wed) 7-10pm: Supporting your BOLTers: Hot Topics with Dean Carol Cohen
- Sep 18 (Thurs) from 8pm-9pm: Slide Show and Photo Contest. Salomon 001.
- Sep 20 (Sat) 9:30am-3:30pm: Steering Committee Retreat. Haffenrefer Outing Reservation
- Sep 27 (Sat) Leadership Workshop 1
- Oct 25 (Sat) Leadership Workshop 2
Managers make contact with family groups re first activities: early October
- Nov 15 (Sat) from 5pm-9pm: Thanksgiving Pot Luck Celebration and Charity Event. All BOLT, all BOLTer years and friends invited.
- Dec 1 (Mon) 7:30pm-9pm: Last Steering Committee of the Semester. Silkscreening and other fun.
- Reading Period Hot Cocoa Break: TBA (reading period is Dec 7-11, finals are 12-20)