HOW CAN I GET BETTER SLEEP?
For a good night's rest:
- Avoid or limit caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, which can cause unrestful sleep and night awakenings.
- Naps of less than 30 minutes (before 3pm) can be refreshing, but longer naps can make you drowsy and interfere with a good night’s sleep.
- On weekends, try not to stay up more than a few hours past your usual bedtime.
- Twenty to 30 minutes of vigorous physical activity enhances deep sleep, but avoid exercising in the 6 hours before bedtime which can increase alertness.
- Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. A regular sleep pattern reduces insomnia, and increases your alertness during the day.
- Before bed, try these ideas:
- Relax and slow things down. Do some light reading or watch TV until you become drowsy, and then try to fall asleep naturally.
- Take a shower or bath. The drop in body temperature afterwards may help you feel sleepy.
- If there’s a lot on your mind, try writing a list and then setting it aside. Pick a time during the day when you can focus on these thoughts. If they reoccur when you are trying to go to sleep, remind yourself that you will be able to address them the next day.
Get more tips for better sleep here.